Sunday, May 30, 2010

Judgmental: 50% Judge... 50% Mental

This week, we have heard several sermons on the subject of being judgmental. My friends and I got together to study the scriptures and came to the conclusion that this must be a very important topic to come up so frequently. There are a number of scriptures that address this issue... but the one that follows covers the topic quite thoroughly:
1DO NOT judge and criticize and condemn others, so that you may not be judged and criticized and condemned yourselves.
2For just as you judge and criticize and condemn others, you will be judged and criticized and condemned, and in accordance with the measure you [use to] deal out to others, it will be dealt out again to you.
3Why do you stare from without at the very small particle that is in your brother's eye but do not become aware of and consider the beam of timber that is in your own eye?
4Or how can you say to your brother, Let me get the tiny particle out of your eye, when there is the beam of timber in your own eye?
5You hypocrite, first get the beam of timber out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the tiny particle out of your brother's eye.
Matthew 7:1-5 [AMP]
Why is it that people seem to think that we can go around casting the first stone when we are just as guilty before the eyes of God than the person we are judging? Perhaps we should simply exorcise the spirit of judgmentalism out of our lives once and for all?  And, while doing so... let us beware of what comes out of our mouths. Judypie gives us two meditations that will help you in that regard:


Speak Words of Kindness

The law of kindness is in my mouth and I purpose to speak words of wisdom. I realize that the words that I speak contain the power of life and death and in the name of Jesus I loose from myself an attitude of sarcasm and bind to myself an attitude of kindness. I bind mercy and truth about my neck and write them upon the table of my heart. When my words instigate anger forgive me and help me correct my speech. When an angry person challenges me help me remember that a soft answer turns away wrath. In the name of Jesus. Amen.
She opens her mouth in skillful and godly Wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness [giving counsel and instruction].
Proverbs 31:26 [AMP]
To have respect of persons and to show partiality is not good, neither is it good that man should transgress for a piece of bread.
Proverbs 28:21 [AMP]
Truly I tell you, whatever you forbid and declare to be improper and unlawful on earth must be what is already forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit and declare proper and lawful on earth must be what is already permitted in heaven.
Matthew 18:18 [AMP]
Let not mercy and kindness [shutting out all hatred and selfishness] and truth [shutting out all deliberate hypocrisy or falsehood] forsake you; bind them about your neck, write them upon the tablet of your heart.
Proverbs 3:3 [AMP]
A SOFT answer turns away wrath, but grievous words stir up anger.
Proverbs 15:1 [AMP]

Imitators of God

Father, we have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so we will walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him, established in the faith and joyfully abounding in it. Love is our foundation, and we pray that Christ will be at home in us. May we be rooted and grounded in love, able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height -- to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge, that we may be filled with all the fullness of God, and walk as Jesus walked in love, in harmony and unity with one another. Amen.
As you have therefore received Christ, [even] Jesus the Lord, [so] walk (regulate your lives and conduct yourselves) in union with and conformity to Him. Have the roots [of your being] firmly and deeply planted [in Him, fixed and founded in Him], being continually built up in Him, becoming increasingly more confirmed and established in the faith, just as you were taught, and abounding and overflowing in it with thanksgiving.
Colossians 2:6-7 [AMP]
May Christ through your faith [actually] dwell (settle down, abide, make His permanent home) in your hearts! May you be rooted deep in love and founded securely on love, That you may have the power and be strong to apprehend and grasp with all the saints [God's devoted people, the experience of that love] what is the breadth and length and height and depth [of it]; [That you may really come] to know [practically, through experience for yourselves] the love of Christ, which far surpasses mere knowledge [without experience]; that you may be filled [through all your being] unto all the fullness of God [may have the richest measure of the divine Presence, and become a body wholly filled and flooded with God Himself]!
Ephesians 3:17-19 [AMP]
“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest"
—Matthew 11:28

...the Lord is all I need. He takes care of me. My share in life has been pleasant; my part has been beautiful.
—Psalm 16:5-6



When I lived in Texas, I would often see this guy at a number of Christian events. I felt that this guy was looking at me and wanted to fight, so rather than risk getting excommunicated by starting a brawl in church, I just avoided the guy. He showed up at concerts, at prayer services... and I just felt that this guy was cruising for a bruising. When I went to my friend Sylvia’s wedding reception... dude was there! And to my greatest surprise, Sylvia took me by the arm and walked me over to the guy and introduced us. Well, we didn’t fight. In fact, we became close friends.

This is an example of how the devil kills, steals, and destroys (John 10:10) by putting people at odds with each other for no reason whatsoever.  I decided to judge a Christian brother... yes... I got in league with you-know-who... and it almost turned into a disaster!

One more meditation from Judypie before we close this week’s blog:


Take Responsibility for your Attitude

Wrong attitudes are like dirty garments. They don't fall off your body; they have to be removed. Get rid of wrong attitudes by the planting of the word of God in your heart and mind. Do you complain about your job and how others treat you, or do you approach your job with enthusiasm and gratitude? Do you blame others when you are faced with adversity or do you take responsibility for your attitude and behavior? You can remove wrong attitudes by changing your mind and attitude toward God. Love the Lord your God with your entire spirit, soul and body and love others even as you love yourself. Determine to lay aside every wrong attitude and run with patient endurance and steady and active persistence the race that is set before you (Hebrews 12:1). Your attitude will determine your success in life.

Father, in the name of Jesus, I purpose to have the same attitude, purpose and humble mind as my Lord. He is my example for greatness! As a citizen of Your Kingdom, I am standing firm in united spirit and purpose, contending with a single mind for the faith, pursuing the destiny, which You handcrafted just for me. I will not be intimidated in anything by my opponents and adversaries. You are my light and my salvation. Amen


Here are a few scriptures to meditate on (hold your mouse over each):
  • Philippians 2:5
  • Philippians 1:27
  • Psalm 27:1

No comments: