Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Forgetting the Past

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.”

Isaiah 43:18 [NIV]

What do you do when your memory drags the “there and then” into the “here and now,” immersing you in the same old pain? The Bible answers, “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?”

Your past can infect your present and influence your future unless you decide to let it go. For the next few days, let’s consider this. First, let go of what God has forgiven! God’s only response to confessed sin is to forgive and forget it.

If it comes up again, you, not He, brought it up. The Bible tells us that “If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us... and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1st John 1:9).

Two things make letting go difficult:

  1. Your feelings

    “I just don’t feel forgiven!” you say. However, you are forgiven by God’s grace obtained through Christ’s sacrifice - regardless of what your emotions are telling you. Don’t wait to feel it before you accept it; accept it and then you will start to feel it!

  2. A wrong concept of God

    You say, “My earthly dad says that he forgives me, but each time I fail he throws all of my old offenses in my face again.” Your Heavenly Father doesn’t operate that way. He says that “I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions, for My own sake, and remembers your sins no more” (Isa 43:25 NIV).

God doesn’t bring them up because He doesn’t remember them. All your sins were judged and paid for at Calvary. Once confessed, you’ll never again be charged with them. So rejoice and let them go. The Court of Heaven has ruled you not guilty!

Pastor Ng Francis
www.fnministries.com

No comments: