Sunday, March 22, 2009

Perfect Peace

It is interesting that, when somebody dies, people say “Rest in Peace.” But does one truly have to die before they can experience peace?

Well, not according to the Bible.

In the Old Testament, the Prophet Isaiah tells us this...

You will guard him and keep him in perfect and constant peace whose mind [both its inclination and its character] is stayed on You, because he commits himself to You, leans on You, and hopes confidently in You.

Isaiah 26:3 (Amplified Bible)

Yes, we can have peace while we are still living. And, since we are on the topic, there isn’t much peace if a person dies without trusting in Christ. Anyway, in the New Testament, the Apostle Paul tells the Church at Corinth (Greece) this...

Finally, brethren, farewell (rejoice)! Be strengthened (perfected, completed, made what you ought to be); be encouraged and consoled and comforted; be of the same [agreeable] mind one with another; live in peace, and [then] the God of love [Who is the Source of affection, goodwill, love, and benevolence toward men] and the Author and Promoter of peace will be with you.

2nd Corinthians 13:11 (Amplified Bible)

Our Heavenly Father is the Author and the Promoter of peace. He is the God of love. God is love.

He who does not love has not become acquainted with God [does not and never did know Him], for God is love.

1st John 4:8 (Amplified Bible)

Because of His great love for us, God gives us perfect and constant peace. Therefore, it is my endeavor during 2009 (and beyond, should the Lord tarry and I remain) to keep my mind on the Lord and to lean on and hope confidently in Him. That was the foundational scripture behind the following lyric, taken from the Psalms from the Pen of the Ready Writer series... “Perfect Peace.” It was written while were were living in Singapore and after a bit of naughtiness caused us to mistreat a fellow believer. After a trip to the spiritual woodshed, I realized that I had better set my mind on things above, and not on things that would get me into more trouble.

Keep my mind on Jesus
Set my focus on things above
Fill me with Your Spirit
Help me walk Lord in peace and love

Let me walk in perfect peace
Cover me, Lord, Cover me
My soul cries out for relief
Perfect peace, Lord, Perfect peace

Calm my nervous spirit
Take away all my doubts and fear
Help me focus on Jesus
Let me know He’s always near

Let me walk in perfect peace
Cover me, Lord, Cover me
My soul cries out for relief
Perfect peace, Lord, Perfect peace

The Lord is my perfect peace In times of despair
He always will send relief. He always is there

Hold me in Your bosom
Rock me gently in Your strong arms
There, beneath Your shadow
Angels keep me from all harm

Let me walk in perfect peace
Cover me, Lord, Cover me
My soul cries out for relief
Perfect peace, Lord, Perfect peace

Whether you are dealing with your own spiritual journey... or just stressed out by all of the turmoil in the world’s political, economic, and criminal aspects... seek the Lord’s perfect peace. It is cheaper than sleeping pills and much much more effective.

No comments: