Sunday, March 29, 2009

God’s Faithfulness

I often marvel at people who are self-righteous. You know the type? People who look down their noses and condemn anyone who is not living their life the way that perhaps they should.

But what I wonder is, how can somebody criticize the speck in somebody’s eye when they have a beam in their own eye?

40 A pupil is not superior to his teacher, but everyone [when he is] completely trained (readjusted, restored, set to rights, and perfected) will be like his teacher. 41 Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye but do not notice or consider the beam [of timber] that is in your own eye? 42 Or how can you say to your brother, Brother, allow me to take out the speck that is in your eye, when you yourself do not see the beam that is in your own eye? You actor (pretender, hypocrite)! First take the beam out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother's eye.

Luke 6:40-42 (Amplified Bible)

I am often reminded of my inadequacies as a believer. Oh, sure... there are times when I think we are flying through crystal clear skies. But then, like George of the Jungle, I find my face slammed up against a tree and wonder, “Where did that come from?” But thank God for 1st John 1:9.

If we [freely] admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just (true to His own nature and promises) and will forgive our sins [dismiss our lawlessness] and [continuously] cleanse us from all unrighteousness [everything not in conformity to His will in purpose, thought, and action].

1 John 1:9 (Amplified Bible)

God is faithful and just to forgive and cleans us when we repent and turn back toward Him. That gives my heart pause to praise Him, because of His unfailing love and faithfulness. Like the Psalmist, I have often wandered away from the path. Yet, Jesus is a Good Shepherd who leads and protects us, guiding us in the way that we should go. For that, we should praise Him for His faithfulness.

175 Let me live that I may praise You, and let Your decrees help me. 176 I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek, inquire for, and demand Your servant, for I do not forget Your commandments.

Psalm 119:175-176 (Amplified Bible)

Faithfulness is one of the Fruit of the Spirit. God shows it to us in great abundance. We should praise Him for His faithfulness... and live lives of faithfulness in response. This was the core thought in the following lyric, taken from our Psalms from the Pen of the Ready Writer series...

Let me live, Oh God, that i may praise You
For Your faithfulness. Your faithfulness
Let me live, Oh God, that i may praise You
For your word gives life to me

Let me walk steadfast as an example
Of Your faithfulness. Your faithfulness
Let me walk steadfast as an example
‘Till the world sees You in me

Like a poor lost lamb i have wandered astray
Seek Your servant, oh Lord. Don’t cast me away
i remember what You’ve commanded today
And i want to be faithful to You

Help me grow, Oh God, into the likeness
Of Your faithfulness. Your faithfulness
Help me grow, Oh God, into the likeness
Of what Jesus is to me

Let Your Spirit mould me in the image
Of Your faithfulness. Your faithfulness
Let Your Spirit mould me in Your image
‘Till we’re one eternally

Like a poor lost lamb i have wandered astray
Seek Your servant, oh Lord. Don’t cast me away
i remember what You’ve commanded today
And i want to be faithful to You

Let me live, Oh God, that i may praise You
For Your faithfulness. Your faithfulness
Let me live, Oh God, that i may praise You
For your word gives life to me

If we seek God for His faithfulness... should we not also live lives of faithfulness? And when people are living unrighteous lives, maybe we can show them mercy and not look down our noses at them. Rather than see some ugly drunken bum, maybe we can see a hurt soul who is trying so soothe their pain with alcohol... and maybe we can introduce them to the new wine from God that will give them true relief... true peace... true joy. Rather than seeing a loose woman living whorishly, we can see someone who needs a touch from Jesus to turn their life around.

Let us live lives that are an example of God’s faithfulness.

No comments: