Sunday, January 11, 2009

Another Year Around the Mountain?

It is hard to believe that more than a decade and a half has passed since I wrote the verse that appears below. Before I wrote it, I remember having gone through some major shifts in my life.

I had previously moved half-way around the planet, thousands of miles away from my parents and the life I knew. My church and friends were time zones away. I was now with a pastor whose teens were, at that time, yowling babies. But it was also a time of reflection.

I realized that I had to seek God... and I did so. Unfortunately, I also sought other things. But only that which was built on faith in Christ lasted.

I looked back over my life and realized what I needed to do. It is strange that, all these years later, I look back over 2008 and have the same exact thought.

How long have I been circling the mountain? Well, much less than the 40 years that the children of Israel did. Perhaps, this time... I will be ready to enter the promised land.

I choose to believe that will be the case.

One year ago i wanted to be known
For all my talents and my gifts

To be recognized and praised by the people
And receive the fruits sown by my flesh

That was oh, so long ago; an eternity it seems
Now that Jesus is true Lord i gave away my dreams

Ah, yes...

All my dreams just fade away like dust
In the light of true commitment to the God i trust



One year ago i wanted to be lord
over my life and wear a crown

And give God a little place in the corner
Where I’d visit Him from time to time

That was not so long ago; only yesterday, it seems
But today i serve the Lord; submit to Him, my King

Ah, yes

All my dreams just fade away like dust
In the light of true commitment to the God i trust


So then, any of you who does not forsake (renounce, surrender claim to, give up, say good-bye to) all that he has cannot be My disciple.

Luke 14:33 (Amplified Bible)

No comments: