Sunday, November 7, 2010

Godly Sorrow

Godly Sorrow
(by Brotha DC)

When King David sinned by committing adultery and following it up with the murder of his lover’s husband, God sent the prophet to confront David.

When we are confronted with our sins, we often go into evasive maneuver mode:
  • Sometimes we go into that Egyptian river called denial...
  • Sometimes we conjure up excuses explaining that we had no other recourse but to do that thing...
  • Sometimes we simply blame our behavior on someone else... 
Have you ever said... “I only punched him in the face because he was making me mad!”

How about... “I only slept with him because I was so lonely...”

King David did the right thing when confronted with his sin... he acknowledged his wrongdoing and confessed before the Lord.

The 51st Psalm was written to convey David’s heart during that period of his life... and it often reflects our circumstances:

1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. 4 Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. 5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. 6 Surely you desire truth in the inner parts [a] ; you teach [b] me wisdom in the inmost place. 7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. 8 Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice. 9 Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. 10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. 11 Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. 13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you. 14 Save me from bloodguilt, O God, the God who saves me, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.
Psalm 51:1-14 [NIV]

Sometimes we are tempted. Other times we act impulsively. But the Psalmist drew particular attention to willful sins. This is when we get an idea in our head and act on it.

I watched someone as they eyed an unguarded jewelry case. They looked around... not realizing that I was looking at them. More importantly, God was watching them. To their disappointment, the case was empty.

How often do people come up with reasons to justify idiotic behavior... but then can not explain when they are caught?

On MSNBC there is a follow-up to the Dateline NBC To Catch a Predator series. In that program, men are caught trying to solicit sex from minors under the age of fourteen on the internet.

When confronted by Chris Hansen, they all have the same explanation for what they were doing.

“I dunno...”

"I wasn’t thinking...”

“I was just bored...”

“I wasn’t really gonna go through with it...”

After they leave the house... they are arrested.  They repeat those same excuses to the police officers processing them... and eventually go before a judge where most are sentenced and do jail time.

Do you think that if there was a Dateline NBC back in the Old Testament days that David would say the same if cameras popped out as he was seducing Bathsheba?

13 Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me. Then will I be blameless, innocent of great transgression. 14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19:13-14 [AMP]

Let¹s face it... we are all human beings. We all sin. That is why the Bible contains stories like the life of King David. I am glad it doesn’t contain my life story!

Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.
2 Corinthians 7:10 [NIV]



Lord...
here i stand again
Stained
with the mud of sin
i could say that i fell, but
the truth is... i jumped right in

Felled
by temptation’s blow
Oh, Lord
how was i to know
when i thought i was standing sin called, and i fell so low

i don’t know how i could come
into Your presence
but my soul longs after you
with true repentance

Godly sorrow
for the things i’ve said and done
Godly sorrow
wash me with the blood Your Son
shed for me
set me free...
Please
forgive me

Lord...
cleanse me from my sin
Please,
Jesus be my friend
i took Your love for granted
Don’t wanna do that again

i
thought that i could stand
my God
want to be a man
who stands for righteousness, and
can overcome satan’s snare

humbled by my humanness
i cry FORGIVE ME
You’re the only one i love
Oh God, i’m sorry

Godly sorrow
for the things i’ve said and done
Godly sorrow
wash me with the blood Your Son
shed for me
set me free...
Please
forgive me

Dead to Sin
(by JesusLover Judy)


Father-God, I count myself dead to sin, but alive to You, and I refuse to allow sin to reign in my mortal body. Today and every day, I present myself to You as being alive from the dead, and my members as instruments of righteousness. Sin shall not have dominion over me, for I am not under law but under grace in the name of Jesus. Amen.

11Even so consider yourselves also dead to sin and your relation to it broken, but alive to God [living in unbroken fellowship with Him] in Christ Jesus.
12Let not sin therefore rule as king in your mortal (short-lived, perishable) bodies, to make you yield to its cravings and be subject to its lusts and evil passions.
13Do not continue offering or yielding your bodily members [and faculties] to sin as instruments (tools) of wickedness. But offer and yield yourselves to God as though you have been raised from the dead to [perpetual] life, and your bodily members [and faculties] to God, presenting them as implements of righteousness.
14For sin shall not [any longer] exert dominion over you, since now you are not under Law [as slaves], but under grace [as subjects of God's favor and mercy].
Romans 6:11-14 [AMP]

More Grace
(by JesusLover Judy)


Father, I thank you for giving me more and more grace. Today and everyday I humble myself before you, and submit myself to you. In the name of Jesus, I resist the devil, and he will flee from me. Father, I come near to you, and you come near to me. I wash my hands, and purify my heart. I would not be double-minded, but humble myself before you, my Lord, and you will lift me up. Amen.

6But He gives us more and more grace (power of the Holy Spirit, to meet this evil tendency and all others fully). That is why He says, God sets Himself against the proud and haughty, but gives grace [continually] to the lowly (those who are humble enough to receive it).
7So be subject to God. Resist the devil [stand firm against him], and he will flee from you.
8Come close to God and He will come close to you. [Recognize that you are] sinners, get your soiled hands clean; [realize that you have been disloyal] wavering individuals with divided interests, and purify your hearts [of your spiritual adultery].
9[As you draw near to God] be deeply penitent and grieve, even weep [over your disloyalty]. Let your laughter be turned to grief and your mirth to dejection and heartfelt shame [for your sins].
10Humble yourselves [feeling very insignificant] in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you [He will lift you up and make your lives significant].
James 4:6-10 [AMP]


Be Holy
(by JesusLover Judy)


Father, with the help of the Holy Spirit and according to your Word, I prepare my mind for action with self-control; set my hope fully on the grace to be given me when Jesus Christ is revealed. As an obedient child, I will not conform to the evil desires I had when I lived in ignorance. You called me and you are holy, so I will be holy in all I do in the name of Jesus. Amen.

13So brace up your minds; be sober (circumspect, morally alert); set your hope wholly and unchangeably on the grace (divine favor) that is coming to you when Jesus Christ (the Messiah) is revealed.
14[Live] as children of obedience [to God]; do not conform yourselves to the evil desires [that governed you] in your former ignorance [when you did not know the requirements of the Gospel].
15But as the One Who called you is holy, you yourselves also be holy in all your conduct and manner of living.
1 Peter 1:13-15 [AMP]


Righteousness of God through Christ Jesus
(by JesusLover Judy)


Father, according to your Word I have been made the righteousness of God through Christ Jesus. Thank you for sending the Holy Spirit who helps me bring forth good fruit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. In Jesus name. Amen.

For our sake He made Christ [virtually] to be sin Who knew no sin, so that in and through Him we might become [endued with, viewed as being in, and examples of] the righteousness of God [what we ought to be, approved and acceptable and in right relationship with Him, by His goodness].
2 Corinthians 5:21 [AMP]



22But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness,
23Gentleness (meekness, humility), self-control (self-restraint, continence). Against such things there is no law [that can bring a charge].
Galatians 5:22-23 [AMP]

No comments: