Friday, April 27, 2007

Crucified With Christ

Quite a number of years ago while reading in the book of Ephesians I came to chapter five and verse twenty-two caught my eye.

“Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord (NASU).
Now the thought occurred to me; now that would be great if my wife would just read this and follow its command. Then I continued to read.

23 “For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body. 24 But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything (NASU).”
Then I thought; I wonder if she has ever read this. Then I said, oh well, and continued to read.

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, (NASU).
Now we are getting to my part. Hmmmm, I said, if I was that kind of a husband my wife would probably be more than happy to subject herself to me and honor me as the head of the household. You can tell thus far I was really doing some serious thinking. I begin to read further.

26 “so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless. 28 So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself; 29 for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church, 30 because we are members of His body (NASU).”
By the time I had read these verses my thoughts were turning more to the relationship of Christ and His church. Then I read the next verse.

31 “FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND SHALL BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH (NASU).”
After reading verse thirty one I looked back at verse thirty---“because we are members of His body.” And again I looked at verse thirty one---“and the two shall become one FLESH.” And then I continued to the next verse.

32 “This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church (NASU).”
Ok, if the Apostle is speaking of Christ and the church, the mystery must be that when one first believes he becomes one in the flesh with Christ. Then the Holy Spirit began to flood my mind with other scripture.

5 “For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; (Rom. 6:5-6 NASU).”
Yes, it is a true revelation!!! We do, by faith become one in the flesh with our Lord! Our Lord’s crucifixion becomes our crucifixion. The old sin nature is put to death and we are freed from sin. But also His resurrection becomes our resurrection---we are raised up a sinless new creature.

7 for he who has died is freed from sin (Rom. 6:7 NASU).”

20 “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me (Gal. 2:20 NASU).”

24 “Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit (Gal. 5:24-25 NASU).”
Now years has passed since I received this revelation and my wife is a very precious help meet and my Lord is still working on me to be that husband she deserves.

33 “Nevertheless, each individual among you also is to love his own wife even as himself, and the wife must see to it that she respects her husband (Eph. 5:33 NAS).”


James C Sanford

No comments: