Sunday, September 27, 2009

These Things Ought Not to Be So

“...These things ought not to be so.”
James 3:10 [NKJV]
The Bible says: “With [our tongue] we bless our God... and with it we curse men... these things are not to be so” (James 3:8-10 NKJV).

It displeases God when we praise Him in church on Sunday then tear someone down at work on Monday. “But what I’m saying is true,” you say. “All a mans ways seem innocent to him, but motives are weighed by the Lord” (Proverbs 16:2 NIV).

Slander begins with pride; it says, “When I’m right and you’re wrong, I have the right to say so.” No, people flock to church altars for healing from wounds inflicted by Christians. Gossip broke their spirits.
One lady writes: “I went through a period of trying to overcome gossip but I’d still tell it to my husband.

Although I knew he wouldn’t repeat it, I realized that by exposing him to it I was poisoning his spirit. That’s when I decided to change what was coming out of my mouth.”

What you say about someone colors how others see them. One pastor tells all his new members, “If you hear another member slandering somebody, stop them right away and say, ‘Excuse me, who hurt you, ignored or slighted you? We’ll pray together about it so that God can restore peace to this body, but we won’t let you talk about people who aren’t around to defend themselves.’” Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, the issue dies right there; or the offender leaves.

“Be... gentle, and patient, accepting each other in love...” (Ephesians 4:2-3 NCV). Since none of us are infallible and all of us need to be treated gently, patiently and with love, let’s make it a habit of treating each other that way.

Pastor Ng Francis
www.fnministries.com

No comments: